Sunday, September 18, 2011

Care for the Earth

God's original mandate for Adam was for him multiply and to rule over the earth (Gen. 1:26) and to till the the garden making it productive (Gen. 2:15). We could imagine the earth today the Garden of Eden made large.

I recently drove through the Columbia Basin of Washington where in sixty years the sage brush desert has been made to bloom as a rose. At one high point I stopped to look over the landscape.

As far as I could see in every direction were orchards, vineyards, wheat fields, corn, and sugar beats. It was a panorama of green and gold. But all is not well.

A recent trip to New Delhi India provided a sobering reminder that we have not done so well everywhere. Dust and smoke from cars and factories and burning garbage so polluted the air I could hardly breathe. The city itself was ill-kept,crowded, and festering. But that is a city, right?

Right. But it does not need to be so. On a recent trip into Seattle on the Sound Transit light rail train I noticed a green spot in an urban area I traveled through. Later I returned by car so I could look more closely. It was a community garden. In a strip of land that was a power line right of way, residents had planted a block long patch of vegetables and flowers.
Community gardens are not new. The city where I live has community gardens. Many homes have backyard gardens, as well. But the contrast between New Dehli and the Seattle neighborhood caused me to think about the mandate God gave Adam. Could we not do better at caring for the world than we have done. It is possible. God gave us the intelligence. We only need the will to follow his good plan.

1 comment:

SLMW8MAN said...

I guess I should have taken you to a park.