Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What if God is Silent?

As I am writing this, I am watching the report of a murder trial.  The crime was the infamous Craigslist murder last year. The victims were a Christian couple and family. The husband and father was shot to death during a robbery as he tried to protect his son. The wife, testifying in the trial, recalls looking to the skies and asking, Why, God? Why?"

But God was silent.

I have a Christian friend struggling with cancer. Despite the treatment she has sought, the cancer will likely take her life. Why, God? Why?

But God is silent.

What do you do when God is silent? It is a question every Christian asks one time or another.  Do you quit God? I have had friends who have. But my friend Jack Frost chose another course.

Some years ago Jack's wife was diagnosed with cancer. Being a serious Christian and one who believed absolutely in the power of prayer and God's promise to heal those who came in faith to Him, he prayed.

But God was silent. He did not heal, and Jack's wife died.

Jack was devastated and his faith shaken. Then he thought through to  Peter's response when many disciples were turning back from following Jesus because they could not accept Jesus' hard saying about drinking his blood and eating his flesh (John 6:53).  When Jesus asked him if he also would go away, Peter answered, "To whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."

And that is the point to which every believer comes, when there are no answers and God is silent. Who else has the words of eternal life?  No one.  So if God should be silent in my extremity, He remains my only hope. "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him."

No comments: