Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Like most of the rest of the world, I watched Michael Jackson's memorial yesterday. I was impressed, not by the spectacle but by the man I did not know.

I was reminded of John Donne's words, "No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. " I was not a Michael Jackson fan. I don't know if I ever listened to a complete song. What I knew of Michael was the stuff on TV. I discovered yesterday there was a lot more - humanity.

The truth is, there is a lot more to everyone. I think that is what Paul means when he writes in II Corinthians 5:16, "So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view."

So, what's the alternative? It is to see people as God sees them, as people whom he loves. May God grant me that grace.

No comments: